Is Harlan Cobens Fool Me Once Worth Watching?

Publish date: 2024-05-04

Harlan Coben, renowned for his gripping crime novels, has once again woven his narrative magic with the Netflix thriller “Fool Me Once.”

This New Year’s Day release on Netflix introduces viewers to a tale filled with unexpected twists and turns, a signature element of Coben’s storytelling prowess that has garnered him global acclaim.

Known for being translated into over 40 languages and selling more than 80 million books, Coben’s unique narrative style hinges on the unexpected. In his own words, “If you don’t like twists and turns, I’m not your guy.”

As the first writer to win an Edgar award, a Shamus award, and an Anthony award together, Coben has established himself as a master of suspense, leaving readers and now viewers on the edge of their seats.

“Fool Me Once,” adapted from Coben’s novel of the same name, features a stellar cast including Michelle Keegan, Richard Armitage, and Joanna Lumley.

The eight-part series unfolds the story of Maya Stern, portrayed by Keegan, who grapples with the brutal murder of her husband, Joe (Armitage).

However, the plot takes a riveting turn when Joe mysteriously appears on her nanny-cam, prompting Maya to embark on a quest for the truth.

Even though Coben is an American writer, “Fool Me Once” is a distinctively British work that is set in the United Kingdom. Because it explores class differences unique to the British social landscape, this setting gives the story an intriguing new dimension.

Coben points out that because of Michelle Keegan’s character’s nuanced portrayal set against Joanna Lumley’s portrayal of Joe’s mother, the adaptation almost works better in a British setting.

A theme that runs through many of Coben’s TV shows, such as “Safe,” “The Stranger,” and “Stay Close,” is class dynamics, which is why the British adaptation is so appealing. He highlights how well the British adaptation depicts class differences, resulting in gripping scenes that advance the story.

Harlan Coben’s fascination with the UK extends beyond his creative endeavors. His creative team in the UK and his brother’s long-standing residence in London have drawn him to the region.

The synergy between American and British elements in his shows has proven successful, blurring the distinction between the two.

Coben, who signed a five-year contract with Netflix in 2018 for the development of 14 of his novels into original series or films, serves as the executive producer for all these projects.

The success of this partnership led to a four-year extension last year. He attributes the appeal of his stories for television to their compelling plots, early twists, and the emotional depth they derive from the theme of missing persons.

“I like hope,” Coben explains. The element of missing people in his stories adds emotional depth, as it allows for the possibility of solving a crime and achieving justice. This fascination with hope, justice, and the intricate puzzle of missing persons distinguishes Coben’s narratives.

FOOL ME ONCE. Now streaming. All 8 episodes on @netflix pic.twitter.com/TfBFIsfRH1

— michelle keegan (@michkeegan) January 1, 2024

Harlan Coben’s “Fool Me Once” doesn’t just unfold; it’s a concoction simmered from real-life quirks—an eclectic mix sparked by encounters with spy cams among pals and the grit of the first female combat helicopter pilot. 

As a master storyteller, Coben skillfully weaves these seemingly insignificant threads into a narrative fabric that resists the allure of modification.

His cautionary tale echoes: a book tailored for screens is a literary “kiss of death,” emphasizing his reverence for the distinct essence each medium commands.

In this labyrinth of emotions and unpredictability, Coben’s crime drama thrives—a testament to his enduring mastery in spinning tales that captivate and confound, an ode to the riddles that echo through crime dramas.

ncG1vNJzZmiolZq9tMPIs2Wcp51kwbd7yKxkoZmioa6vecKomZ6mo2KzsLvLZqSeZZ%2BjsKZ51qipraBdrK61r8eipaBn